Svaneti salt is a Georgian spice, which was named after the rocky Svaneti region of Georgia, where it is produced. All the herbs which are added to the salt are growing in the Svaneti mountains. The Svaneti salt will bring the unique aroma and spicy oriental taste to your dishes.
How the Svaneti salt was invented? As you already know, Svanetia is a region in Georgia with high mountains, very difficult to reach. Long ago, to get there you had to climb the high mountains caring all the belongings on you. All the spices, including the salt, were very expensive and hard to buy. So the local people came with the idea of mixing the salt with the mountain herbs, which were growing on the rocky slopes and everyone could get as much as he wanted of those. By adding herbs to the salt they could get much more volume of spice, and they liked the taste of it so much, that they decided to use it all the time.
Nowadays doctors are suggesting to minimize the amount of salt, so it is a great idea to use this herb salt instead of the ordinary one. Let’s make the legendary Svaneti salt today, and we are sure you’ll be using only it from now on.
Ingredients (like they are showed on the picture belov starting from 12 o’clock to the right):
- 1 g of saffron
- 3 tbsp of rock sea salt (or usual salt)
- 1 tsp of minced fenugreek
- 1 tsp of coriander
- 1 tsp of caraway
- 1/2 of spicy paprika
- 1 tsp of dill seeds
- 1 tsp of powdered garlic
- If you like us use rock salt (we use our favourite mix of rock pink Himalayan salt and rock sea salt) first you have to mince the salt in the mincer. If you use already minced salt skip that step.
- Put all the ingredients in the blender (we recommend to use the glass blender): start from salt, dill seeds, fenugreek and add all the other ingredients.
- Mix it and make sure that the dill seeds, fenugreek (if you use fenugreek seeds, not minced) and caraway are minced well into powder.
- Put the Svaneti salt in a container (small glass jar for spices would be the best solution), you can keep it even for 2 years.
Try to add the Svaneti salt instead of ordinary salt in your regular dishes and you will be surprised by their new aroma and exotic taste. First, try to make an ordinary omelette with a pinch of Svaneti salt and it won’t be an ordinary dish, because it’ll be a delicious omelette with oriental taste and unique aroma.
Tip: If you don’t have a glass blender, but you are very determined to make some spices in the plastic blender, try to grind the coffee beans immediately after finishing the spice. The coffee beans could help to get rid of the spice smell in the plastic.