A nice, hot onion soup warms up and raises your spirits on any cold or cloudy day. The classic recipe for onion soup comes from France and wine is added to it. Today I will present you a very simple version of this recipe because I do not add wine or even broths to the soup. If you fry the onion in the butter well, it comes out of it in combination with spices so many flavours and aromas that it is diluted with broth.
See how simple this recipe is and try it today.
INGREDIENTS FOR ONION SOUP:
- 1 kg of white onion
- 1 l of broth or water
- 80-100 grams of butter
- 3-4 bay leaves
- spices of your own choice, I used my mixtures: swanska sol, fenugreek, Chmeli-suneli
- a baguette (or other type of bread) – optional
- grated cheese (200-500 gr, the amount depends on your taste)
- Starting with the hardest part, i.e. cleaning and cutting onions. Cut the onion into half slices. If you manage with this first point, the hardest part of the recipe is definitely behind you.
- Then we prepare onions for frying. We take a pot with a thick bottom or a deep and large frying pan in which we will make our soup.
- Now we warm up the pan and melt butter on low heat.
- Next, we put the whole onion in the pan and mix thoroughly. The whole onion, each piece must be saturated with butter. If necessary, add more butter.
- Now, on very low heat, we caramelize the onion, stirring constantly. This process can take 20 to 40 minutes. The onion needs to get a delicate golden colour, but never allow it to burn.
- After completing the caramelization, pour boiling water into onions and cook on a very low heat for 10-20 minutes.
- As long as the soup is cooking, we cut the baguette and put in the oven preheated to 180 degrees for a few minutes (or heat it in a toaster). They need to be nice and crispy.
- Pour the ready soup into plates, put 1-2 pieces of baguette on top and sprinkle with cheese. Add cheese as much as you like. Insert the plate for a minute in a preheated oven or microwave.
- Voilà! As the French say! A delicious and warming soup for the whole family is ready!
- Place pepper and salt grinder on the table so that everyone can add a touch of freshly ground pepper and salt to taste.
If you want to add an interesting snack to this delicious soup, then our iconic prunes wrapped in bacon recipe will definitely work. Check the recipe here.