Guacamole is a basic dish of Mexican cuisine. And although it’s simple enough to do, it can be difficult to get the perfect flavour. However, with this authentic recipe for Mexican guacamole, you will become an expert in guacamole.
In Mexico, guacamole is one of the most requested appetizers, but it must always be homemade, and made in a traditional way. Thankfully, it is not complicated.
This recipe for guacamole only needs 6 fresh and nutritious ingredients, and it only takes about 10 minutes (or even less) to make it. That’s why it’s perfect to take it to your next barbecue or party.
We guarantee it will be a success!
How to choose an avocado?
For the guacamole to be perfect, you have to use ripe avocados, never green. Most stores and supermarkets sell very little ripe avocados. Therefore, buy your avocados in advance, so they can mature for a few days at home.
We can know that they have reached the point of optimum maturity when touching them they are not hard, nor very soft. Color is also a clue, the darker, the more mature. And if you remove the corner, the remaining skin should be yellow, not green nor brown.
In addition, you should never mix avocados with different levels of maturity. Their different textures will not combine, and hard pieces of green avocado remain floating in a soft avocado mixture.
So now when we have the wright avocados lets start making true Mexican guacamole!
Ingredients for Mexican guacamole:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped (optional)
- A handful of chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Lime juice, to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tomato, finely chopped
- Open the avocado in half, remove the pit and take all the pulp you can with a spoon.
- Mash the avocado pulp in a molcajete (or mortar) until it has the desired consistency.
- Incorporate the chopped onion, jalapeño, cilantro and tomato, and continue mixing it well.
- Add the lime juice and salt to taste, and mix again.
Here you will find our selection of dips and sauces that are perfect for every occasion.