Millet with aubergine and tomato with the addition of Greek cheese will be great for everyone. This is a simple dish that you can have in the vegetarian version or in the vegan version. In the vegan version, we don’t add cheese (you can add tofu as a replacement) and don’t use butter for frying.
Do you know that millet is very good and healthy? In the Chinese medicine millet has been shown to have warming properties. Thus, it helps strengthen the weakened and cooled body. This makes it irreplaceable in the autumn and winter.
Ingredients for millet with aubergine and tomato:
- 200 g millet (you can also use bulgur or rice if you prefer)
- 1 aubergine (eggplant)
- 2 large tomatoes or 4 small tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2-4 garlic cloves
- olive oil (best to use dried tomato oil)
- optional (according to you do not make a vegan option) – Greek cheese cubes
- First, cook the millet according to the recipe on the package. You can also use bulgur or rice if you prefer. With millet, the taste will be the most creamy and delicate. In turn, if you prefer a more pronounced taste, then you can also try to make this dish with buckwheat or pearl barley.
- Then, while our porridge is cooking, in a frying pan, fry the finely chopped onion and chopped garlic cloves. We fry them in olive oil or garlic butter (if you don’t make a vegan version).
- Cut the aubergine into small cubes and add to the pan as soon as the onion begins to turn golden brown. We add more oil. Opportunities are not available in this case, because millet perfectly copes with this and makes the dish not greasy in taste.
- Fry aubergine in a pan for about 2 minutes. Cut half the tomatoes into small cubes, add them to the pan and fry for half a minute, intensively mixing with other vegetables.
- We add cooked millet to vegetables and mix it thoroughly. Boil the minutes and remove from heat.
- Cooking is over, now it’s time to serve the table. We put millet with aubergine and tomato on top and decorate it with fresh tomatoes slices. This will be the vegan version.
- If you wish, add cubed Greek cheese (the best will be what is sold in a marinade of olive oil). It is also possible to use bryndza cheese or other white salty cheese. Now we have a vegetarian version ready!
TIP HOW TO GET A UNIQUE TASTE:
Millet with aubergine and tomato will take on a nice taste when you need to prepare flavoured olives (with chilli, with basil). How to do it in the easiest way? Use olive oil from other products, e.g. I used dried tomato oil with blueberries and olive oil from Greek type cheese with basil and smoked chilli. Use this type of oil on hand to get no added spices except a little salt to the aubergine. This time, you not only get a really special taste but also use everything you have on hand. As you know, we at CRAVEmonkey try to apply the “zero waste” principle, i.e. prepare a dish with the help of everything we have, so as not to waste food and not throw it away.