You want to impress your friends with the easy to make/lazy tart! There is no better option than our recipe for easy beet tart with feta and honey mustard. If you want it to be vegan, just make your own shortcrust and substitute the cheese with vegan cheese or some nuts for additional texture, just make sure it is something salty to balance out the sweetness of the beets 😉
This is a great starter idea and can be used all year round in Poland due to the availability of beets. Remember to not buy the pre-cooked, this has a completely different taste and texture, so just save this recipe for when you can get the right beets. You can experiment and use the yellow ones if you can get your hands on them from your local farmers.
Enough for 8 – 10 slices
1 hour 30 minutes cook and prep time
INGREDIENTS FOR EASY BEET TART WITH FETA AND HONEY MUSTARD:
- 1 Roll shortcrust Pastry (or make 250g yourself) 3mm thick
- 300g Beetroot = 1 large Polish one. Fresh
- 1 Small white onion
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 200g Feta cheese
- A handful of fresh or dry thyme
HONEY MUSTARD (2tbsp of):
- Wholegrain Mustard
- Olive oil
Add all the ingredients for the honey mustard into a small mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside for later.
- If the pastry is round, place it in an appropriate size tart case, leaving some pastry hanging over the edge. Using a fork, poke some holes in the pastry base, not the edges and place in the oven at 170 degrees for 15 minutes or until it slightly browns and take out.
- While this is in the oven, wrap your beetroot in tin foil and throw in the oven for 30 minutes. Take out and let it cool.
- Dice the onion into small pieces and fry in a tbsp of olive oil and fry in a large pan until lightly golden.
- Peel and coarsely grate the beetroot, squeeze out the juice with your hands and place into the pan with onions. Season, and add the balsamic vinegar. Cook for 15 minutes in the pan, or until the liquid evaporates, then let it cool.
- Place the filling into the pastry and flatten slightly, crumble the feta and thyme over the top, ensuring you remove the stalks if it is fresh, and drizzle with half of the dressing saving the other half to dress the tart when it comes out.
- Bake for a further 15 to 20 minutes, until the edges go a golden brown and remove. Sprinkle some more fresh thyme as a garnish and drizzle the last of the honey mustard dressing.
BAM, slice and enjoy! This recipe takes about 1 hour 30 minutes in total, but it is so worth it!
We have for you more tarts to choose from. We highly recommend spinach, sun-dried tomato, and feta tart.