Do not throw away pumpkin seeds when you do the pumpkin puree or butternut squash soup! Instead, roast them. Roasted pumpkin seeds are a healthy snack, a source of magnesium, iron, zinc and unsaturated fatty acids, as well as B vitamins. They can be added to soups, salads, sauces, cakes and desserts. And how to make roasted pumpkin seeds? It is very easy.
So if you want to know how to make it just keep on reading!
Ingredients for roasted pumpkin seeds:
- Pumpkin seeds
- honey (optional)
- chilli flakes (optional)
- When you prepare your pumpkin dishes, scrape the seeds from your pumpkin with a wide, flat spoon.
- Pull away the strings of flesh and rinse the seeds clean.
- Rinse in a bowl of water and for best results leave it to soak in water overnight.
- Line the baking tray with baking paper and spread the pumpkin seeds evenly over a large baking tray.
- Gather what ingredients you fancy –sea salt is essential, and for this batch, I also used honey and chilli flakes. Feel free to experiment with other spices.
- Put a few good lugs of olive oil over the seeds.
- Sprinkle your ingredients over the top.
- Mix together so your seeds are well coated.
- Bake at 180°C for around 10 minutes, or until seeds are lightly golden brown.
- Leave to cool before you get your fingers into them (we know it will be difficult but hang on!)
- And then they are ready to snack on!
You should store the roasted pumpkin seeds in an airtight container.