Do you want a tasty snack for a meeting with friends? There is nothing better than carrot rolls with cream cheese and pine nuts.
This is a recipe that has been keeping us busy all night! Easy and quick recipe that your guest will die for and would like to come back for more. They will even hassle you for the recipe! So what are you waiting for?
Ingredient for carrot and soft cheese rolls
- 2 Carrots (medium or one massive one!)
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil plus extra to drizzle
- 3-4 tbsp Balsamic vinegar plus extra to drizzle
- 250g soft cheese (I chose Philadelphia but you can use mascarpone or ricotta)
- ½ lemon squeezed
- handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 50g pine nut, toasted (pan-fry without oil for 7 minutes)
Makes 20-25 rolls
- Slice the carrots lengthwise, using a swivel vegetable peeler (see picture) – you’ll need about 24 long strips. Drizzle some of the olive oil and balsamic over two large plates and lay the strips flat, trying not to overlap. Sprinkle with more oil and balsamic, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 20 mins or the balcony if you are in a cold enough country! Can be prepared up to 6 hrs ahead.
- Mix the soft cheese with lemon juice and seasoning to taste, then mix in the basil and pine nuts.
- Place the strips one by one in a hot griddle pan, searing the carrots for 1 or 2 minutes on each side to add some colour and texture, then put to the side to cool.
- Place 1 tsp of the soft cheese and pine nut mixture onto one end of a carrot strip and roll up. Repeat until you have used up all the filling. Arrange rolls upright on a plate and grind over some black pepper. Drizzle with a little more oil and balsamic vinegar to serve.
- As a garnish, grill the last half of the lemon for 3 minutes in a hot grill pan, place it on your serving dish and sprinkle remaining basil leaves to add the final touch!
Would you like more tasty snacks for the party? Here you will find our suggestions for delicious recipes perfect for large gatherings and not only.