At our house, the roasted duck with apples is a classic on any family gathering so it is always available on our Christmas table.
But be aware here in Poland we do not eat meat on Christmas Eve (which many of you might not know is the main event of the Holidays). This dish is always there on the First day of Christmas but still, it is very important as it is the main dish!
So here we present you with this easy recipe. Now you will finally be able to get this crispy and soft (and so delicious) duck. It is so delicious it just melts in your mouth and let us tell you we are mouth-watering just when we are writing this (so we assume you are doing the same when you’re reading this :D).
So don’t waste any more time – let’s go do this glorious duck!
Ingredients for a roasted duck with apples:
- Fresh duck (the bigger the better)
- 1 tbs of salt
- 1 tbs of marjoram
- 3-4 cloves of pressed garlic
- 1 tbs of ground paprika (optional)
- 8 apples
- cranberry or blueberry
- Wash and dry the duck.
- Rub with salt, garlic, and marjoram (also inside). You can also use grounded paprika for this.
- Leave the duck overnight in a cool place (like a fridge or if it is cold enough outside:P).
- Then put in the quarters of the pitted apples (they do not have to be peeled) so that they fill the entire space inside the duck.
- Put it into a large roasting pan or a casserole dish. Put the duck belly up.
- Bake at 220 degrees Celsius as much as a duck weighs (1 kg = 1 hour). In the beginning, we recommend covering it with aluminum foil so that the duck does not become too crispy and dry.
- Pitt the rest of the apples (do not peel them) and add cranberries or blueberries to the resulting hole in the apple.
- Approximately 30 minutes before the end of baking, remove the foil and add the apples
- The duck is ready to be served about 30 minutes after the end of baking (you can leave it in the oven to cool down slowly or pull it out of the oven and leave it at room temperature). Do not speed up the duck’s cooling by exposing it to a freezer or other cold place.
- And it’s ready!
This delicious roasted duck can be served with baked potatoes, mashed potatoes or with millet, for example, make millet with aubergine and tomatoes. It will simultaneously be a side dish for the duck and an alternative dish for guests who do not eat meat.