Here is our first recipe on our blog involving fully the great white asparagus – white creamy asparagus and carrot soup. This soup is simple and sweet but refreshing at the same time. It is also very filling as it contains potatoes, therefore, it can be a full on meal on its own.
But before we get into our recipe for the asparagus soup go and see our post on how to choose and prepare asparagus. There you will find out more information on different varieties of asparagus and how to choose it. We are also sharing with you there how to properly store asparagus and to peel it. We also give you some of our tips and trick when it comes to this delicious vegetable.
So now we have the asparagus covered let’s move to the soup portion. In our opinion soups also can be comfort food. This particular one can bring you so much joy and make your tummy so full and satisfied. In our opinion is due to the fact it is rich in flavour and has that carrot sweetness in it. The creamy texture is also a major advantage for us. Let us know in the comments below what is your opinion on this soup. As well as share with us your comfort food.
But let’s get back to the recipe. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get started on this amazing dish!
White asparagus and carrot soup
- 2 bunches white asparagus
- 1 liter vegetable broth
- 4 potatoes (medium size)
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 100 ml cream (30-36%)
- a little butter or oil for frying
- dill/chive/parsley (optional)
- Peel the asparagus, onion, potatoes and the carrot. Cut the heads of the asparagus and set aside. Chop the potatoes into smaller chunks so they would cook faster later on. Also chop the onion.
- In a pan melt the butter and fry the onion and potatoes for few minutes (until you see the onion becomes nice and brownish) This will add extra flavour to the soup later on.
- Heat up the vegetable broth and put in the carrot, asparagus (without asparagus heads), onion and potatoes then add salt and pepper. Cook it on medium/high heat for about 10 minutes.
- When the 10 minutes are up add the asparagus heads and nutmeg and cook it for another minute.
- Then it is time to blend it all up. I recommend to move it to a stand alone blender rather than using a hand blender.
- Add the cream and push the blending button. Blend it until the soup is nice and smooth.
- Pour it into soup dishes or bowls and it is ready to be served. You can additionally sprinkle some dill, parsley or chive over the soup for that extra herbal freshness. Bon apetit!
Here is more of our asparagus recipes and there will be more to come in the near future – be on the lookout. However, if you are interested in other soups we got you covered as well – here are our recipes for our soup.