Today we have for you another breakfast option. It is our twist on an open-faced toasted cheese sandwich or for us Poles “
A typical Polish “zapiekanka” is an open-face sandwich made of half of a baguette or other long roll of bread, topped with sautéed champignon mushrooms, cheese and toasted until the cheese melts. It is served hot with ketchup. It is
So we have created for you a new way you can make this now iconic dish. This is perfect breakfast or a snack when you want something filling and still pretty gentle in taste. The champignon mushroom fried with soya sauce gives this dish a slightly Asian flavour but without being overpowering. It tastes best served hot as all “
Ingredients for stuffed toasted sandwich with champignon mushroom:
- 4 buns
- 10 medium size champignon mushrooms
- 100g of shredded cheese (we used gouda but any similar cheese will do as well)
- 2 tbsp of soya sauce
- 2 tbsp of sour cream
- 1/2 tsp of powdered garlic or 1-2
thinlycut garlic cloves (optional)
- 2 tbsp of mayo
- Peel the champignon mushrooms (gently taking away the outer layer) and cut it into slices (or simply purchase already sliced champignon mushrooms) and fry them on medium heat with soya sauce for few minutes.
- In a mixing bowl mix together sour cream, mayo and garlic. Then add the fried champignon mushrooms and half of the grated cheese.
- Cut the very top of the buns and take out the inner portion of the bun as well (just make sure you leave some inside.
- Put the stuffing inside the bun and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake it in 180 degrees C until the cheese melts and is a nice golden colour.
Here you can find our other breakfast recipes.